By Kim Shelden Padan Recently, ten young people from our parish received the Sacrament of Confirmation during a Sunday morning Mass. I was blessed to be a part of the choir, singing praise to God [...]
The Read Between The WINEs 2018 Advent Book Club
The 2019 #LentenWALK Book Club
Walk in Her Sandals: Experiencing Christ’s Passion through the Eyes of Women
Buy the Walk in Her Sandals Book Bundle here!
The WINE Lenten Fun is as easy as 1 – 2 – 3 … 4!
1. SIGN UP FOR WINE EMAILS
The book club will cover one chapter a week for 6 weeks beginning Wednesday, March 6th. Each week in addition to daily inspirational graphics, a Walk in Her Sandals Reflection which corresponds to the reading in that week’s chapter will be posted on the Walk in Her Sandals blog.
Want inspiration in your inbox? Receive a recap of each week book posts called “Saturday Sip”, along with New WINE Wednesday and From the VINE (Sunday Gospel Reflections). Sign up here —> WINE: Women in the New Evangelization Emails
2. ORDER THE BOOK
Why order through the online WINE shop? Simple. Your purchase through the WINE shop supports all the wonderful work of WINE ministries, a nonprofit ministry for women. It is also the only place to purchase the Walk in Her Sandals Companion Study Guide – filled with insightful reflections, includes the small group questions, a special guide for Lectio Divina, and of course, coloring pages from Brightly Hude Studio.
A little about this one-of-a-kind book:
Pray in a new and creative way this Lent by joining the women of WINE: Women In the New Evangelization on a journey through Christ’s passion, death, and resurrection. What if you could have been a witness to the events of the last days of Jesus’ life—walking with him as he entered Jerusalem, observing his crucifixion, and embracing him on Easter?
Walk in Her Sandals, edited by WINE founder, Kelly M. Wahlquist, takes you deeper into your relationship with Jesus by helping you relate to him in a profoundly intimate way. Looking at six universal gifts of women through the eyes of women in the gospels, the book guides you on a prayerful and creative journey through the days of Holy Week, Easter, and Pentecost.
As you imagine the experience of the women who met Jesus, you will discover how each of them expressed one of six, distinctive, feminine gifts identified in the writings of St. John Paul II. Through the eyes of an imagined woman who watched Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem, you will understand how she conveyed the gift of receptivity. Through the hands of Veronica, who reached out to wipe the face of Jesus, you will discover how sensitivity is present and can grow in your own life. These gifts, along with generosity, prayer, maternity, and the Holy Spirit, come to life through the vivid portrayal of women who walked with Jesus. Their imagined stories are complemented by the real accounts of contemporary women who share their own stories of receiving and cultivating these gifts.
Walk in Her Sandals is a collaborative effort, edited by Wahlquist with contributions from ten leading Catholic women writers, all of whom are associated with the organization she founded—WINE: Women In the New Evangelization. The contributors will help you break open the scripture, reflect upon it and apply it to your own life, and share those insights in a small-group setting through the use of questions and challenges.
Each chapter unfolds in eight movements:
- A Moment to Ponder: Wahlquist sets the stage for the theme of that chapter.
- Entering the Scripture: Sarah Christmyer, codeveloper of The Great Adventure Catholic Bible Study, reveals the riches of the scripture that corresponds with the day, both in the biblical narrative and in the liturgical year.
- Walk in Her Sandals: Stephanie Landsem, author of the biblical fiction series The Living Water, draws you into the story and allows you to experience what it may have been like for women who lived and walked with Jesus.
- Unwrapping the Gift: Catholic author, speaker, and faith-formation leader Pat Gohn shows how each woman demonstrates a particular feminine gift and invites you to nurture that gift in yourself and understand anew the beauty of your dignity and vocation.
- Reflect on the Meaning: Writers including CatholicMom.com founder Lisa M. Hendey and popular media personality Teresa Tomeo offer insight, encouragement, and inspiration for your own journey through their personal stories.
- Lectio and Meditatio: A prayerful reading of the scripture and a guided meditation to draw you more deeply into an intimate relationship with Jesus.
- Questions for Group Discussion: Carol Younger, senior fellow at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, offers a helpful tool to share your experience with other women.
- Walking in the New Evangelization: Wahlquist offers two ways to contribute to the New Evangelization—first by growing in your contemplative spiritual life and then by giving you practical suggestions to enhance your active spiritual life.
Walk in Her Sandals will allow you to enter more fully into life in Christ by praying over his passion, death, and resurrection. It will help you experience a conversion of heart and recognize your own giftedness.
3. START A READ BETWEEN THE WINES BOOK CLUB
WINE makes it easy to bring together a faith sharing group to discuss Walk in Her Sandals. WINE offers step by step guidelines AND one to one assistance if needed. To get started:
- Invite friends and/or women you’d like to become friends with (as them to invite friends as well) to join you for an 6-week book club;
- Purchase the BOOK from the WINE shop;
- Become a WINE MEMBER (*4 levels available – each offer discounts on WINE store purchases! A beautiful way to offer alms this Lent, as Memberships support the nonprofit work of WINE;
- Sign up for the WINE BOOK CLUB EMAILS (no spam, we promise).
4. JOIN THE WINE VIRTUAL COMMUNITY
WINE brings women together from across the world to share their faith through the many WINE book offerings. There are many ways to participate including discussions on our blog or the WINE Book Clubs Facebook group.
WINE Virtual Vineyard brings together women, just like you, reading either Walk in Her Sandals or one of the many Read Between the WINES books and companion study guides available only through WINE.
Whether you participate in the virtual community to enhance your small group reading or because you need a faith sharing group, the WINE Virtual Vineyard is the place to be. Participate here and/or join us on Facebook. Be sure to “like” our WINE Facebook Page; then become a part of the WINE Book Clubs closed Facebook group. Don’t miss our Wednesday Night FB Lives at 9 pm et.