Award-winning author Maria Morera Johnson offers a unique and daring exploration of the cardinal virtues through the saints and heroines of science fiction, fantasy, and comic books. Johnson will reignite your passion for your faith as she demonstrates the heroic in the sometimes mundane quest for good and reminds us that Catholicism is filled with adventure.
What do Wonder Woman and St. Katharine Drexel have in common? How about St. Clare of Assisi and Rey, the ingénue from Star Wars: The Force Awakens? All four women sought justice for the abused.
With the same zest for her faith and cheeky wit that readers found so compelling in My Badass Book of Saints and a love for the heroic journey that highlights her career, Johnson now focuses on heroines—improbable pairings of saints and characters from sci-fi, comics, and fantasy—who have influenced her life and deepened her understanding of the Church’s cardinal virtues: prudence, temperance, fortitude, and justice.
Johnson tells her own story alongside the unlikely pairs to show how the cardinal virtues are at play in our lives as well:
- Prudence (judgment of right and wrong), which influences Marvel’s Black Widow and St. Mary Magdalene, as well as X-Files agent Dana Scully and St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.
- Fortitude (courage), experienced by Marvel’s Storm and St. Cunigunde, as well as Harry Potter’s Hermione Granger and St. Marguerite D’Youville.
- Temperance (restraint of desires), which changes how we understand Katniss Everdeen of the Hunger Games series and St. Mary MacKillop, as well as Nyota Uhura of Star Trek fame and St. Kateri Tekakwitha.
With Johnson’s enthusiasm as a guide, you’ll be inspired to embrace the virtues anew and find your faith in your favorite stories.
and the WINE Book Club Companion Journal & Study Guide:
Designed to accompany and enhance the Super Girls and Halos book study experience. Whether participating in a WINE Book Club or reading the book on your own, everyone benefits from the inspiring additional material found in this journal. In the journal:
- Build a Saint League of your own;
- Discover your Super Powers (aka Charisms);
- Answer MARVELour Questions
- Lectio Divina; and
- Experience the Rosary as one of the world’s greatest Secret Weapons!
- Ample space is provided to record your own thoughts and reflection as you move through the book.